Bitcoin Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Bitcoin crypto-currency enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

We are setting up some merchant functions

If a customer sends too many coins in a transfer for an order

Can you send the change back to address you received the coins from .

i.e 1) Order 1234 12.5 BTC Merchant Recieve Address (1234abc)

2) Customer Sends 12.6 BTC to Merchant Address (1234abc) from his Address (4567def)

3) Merchant detects overpayment And sends the 0.1 btc back to customers (4567def) Address as change

Will this work in that the customer will get his change ??

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by ripper234, o0'., Nick ODell, ThePiachu, cdecker Feb 19 '13 at 9:07

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Did you mean "back to customer's (4567def) address"? – Meni Rosenfeld Feb 16 '13 at 21:04
Yes back to the customers 4567def address – BitCoin New Guy Feb 16 '13 at 21:07
up vote 5 down vote accepted

This is not recommended.

If the customer uses a fully controlled wallet he will get the coins, but will be confused about their source because the address would carry the label of some other provider.

If the customer is using a shared eWallet, he might not get the coins at all because the address isn't his.

share|improve this answer
On the shared wallet is it likely that the app is using an address not related to the user etc ? – BitCoin New Guy Feb 16 '13 at 21:05
How would you deal with this situation ??? Prompt the user for a change address ?? – BitCoin New Guy Feb 16 '13 at 21:06
@BitCoinNewGuy Indeed - If you need to do a refund, ask for a refund address. – Pieter Wuille Feb 16 '13 at 22:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.