For example, suppose I'm selfish mining; you publish a block and then I immediately publish two, what did I do to your block?
Similarly, if I'm executing a double-spend attack, my goal is to ?___? the block containing the transaction standing in the way of my double-spend.
I'm looking for a transitive verb that also works well in passive tense.

  • I think my favorite I've come across so far is "supplant". FWIW I'm writing up some lecture notes; there's objections to the verb "orphan" which I had been using, so I'm looking for a suitable replacement.
    – MicahW
    Jan 21 at 17:58

2 Answers 2


I don't think there is a well-established term, yet. My spontaneous preference would be to use "to displace" or "to supersede" a block—there is only one spot in the best chain at each height and the new block took it from the old block.

In the past I have also described it as "reorganizing out" a block.


"To override" seems fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.