- Mallory, Alice and Bob found block on their farm.
- They disconnect from internet, simulating split and change all of nodes in their segment to malicious.
- Malicious nodes decrease complication of block founding, and dramatically outrace whole of world.
- After a week, they restore original clients on their nodes and plug the network back.
- Their chain bigger than world's and they gather total week's bounty 25,200 btc, more than 2,520,000 $.
Is it possible?
What part of code protect us? Raw code is appreciated.
Is the Bitcoin protocol secure if two parts of the network have no connection?
Scenario: disaster splits the Internet into dozens unconnected fragments
What would happen if a portion of the Bitcoin network was separated from the rest of the network?
What's the impact of net-splits on block generation... over a long period of time?