That's it...whenever currencies are traded, the possibility of a K-1 form arises, and since we're dealing with the dollar and the bitcoin here, and some people just trade the two without using them for a "pay-pal" purchase,it seems like a reasonable question.

  • Regulation in the area of digital currencies is still emerging, the best way to approach the topic is probably to talk to a tax advisor or tax lawyer.
    – Murch
    Nov 21, 2013 at 0:27

1 Answer 1


From what I understand, you must report a capital gain (or loss) when you convert the BTC back into dollars. But I am not an accountant so you should consult your own accountant and not rely on me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.