Do hosted wallet services located in the USA need to register with the fenCEN as a MSB?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Salvador Dali, Murch, Stéphane Gimenez, dchapes, Dr.Haribo Dec 31 '13 at 1:11

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


If the business is based in the US, yes.

Edit: IANAL, but in my opinion a wallet service clearly falls into the category of money transmitter according to FinCEN's virtual currency regulations.

  • Please provide an argument or source of information that supports your answer. – Murch Dec 3 '13 at 13:10
  • @Murch, answer edited with FinCEN reference. I actually learned about it from a local bitcoin meetup where US regulation was heavily discussed. Of course, most regulations are normally open to different interpretations. A good lawyer can work miracles. – ktorn Dec 3 '13 at 13:53

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.