What hardware would I need to buy to fit a normal PCI-E x16 card (In my case, a R9 280x) into a normal PCI-E x1 slot?

  • This question appears to be off-topic because it is about computer hardware in general Dec 4, 2013 at 0:29
  • 4
    @NateEldredge, I disagree. This problem is unlikely to be encountered by anyone except a GPU cryptocurrency miner. Dec 4, 2013 at 0:45

1 Answer 1


You need a PCI Express (PCI-e) x1 to x16 Riser adaptor cable like this one: http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/cables-adaptors/other/auction-670675802.htm

Bear in mind that some graphics cards draw a lot of power, and I've seen photos of cables that have overheated because they couldn't handle the load. The linked one above may have solved this issue by providing a separate power cable.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.