So, I have been mining LTC with a custom rig (see below for hardware details) and this morning it was down. When I restarted it, it worked fine for two minutes then shut down again without beep nor blue screen. Here is what I have try to understand where the problem comes from.
- Tried a different power bar
- Let the PC run without the miner software enabled (PC don't crash in that case)
- Let the PC run with the miner but only 3 GPUs working (PC don't crash in that case)
- Let the PC run with the miner but 4-5-6 GPUs working (PC crashes)
I have few hypotheses.
- Add4PSU which plug the two PSU in serie doesn't work: I don't know if the 6 GPUs would start in that case, however, since three are plugged on the second PSU.
- For some reason, heat make the PC shut down (sensors broken or something strange)
- One of the PSU can't get enough power when the GPUs work at 100%
I do not know if someone has any idea. I'll post this also on superuser stack. Here is my hardware:
- Mobo: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PC I-E16 4PC I-E1
- GPU: 6 PowerColor PCS+ AX7950 3GBD5-2DHPP Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
- CPU: Intel Celeron G1620
- Mem: 2 Viper Xtreme 1600Mhz, 2GB
- PSU: 2 Corsair Professional HX850W 850W ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Modular (Gold rated, plugped with Add2PSU)