I want to install the bitcoind daemon on a computer with relatively little free space (about 35GB available). I thought that the blockchain was some 20 GB in size and figured that would be no problem, but I'm running into disk space issues. What I did was:
- First I tried the torrent file to bootstrap the blockchain. I downloaded the whole dat file and then tried importing, but on importing it I ran into disk issues. About half of it was imported before the disk was full.
- I then removed the bootstrap file and let bitcoind load the blockchain from peers. I seems that it did use the half-imported bootstrap file so the first bit was quite fast.
- However, I now have 36GB in the blocks directory, and my drive is full. Still not all is downloaded!
My question is:
- Is the blockchain really this big?
- Are there any files I could remove, given my particular way of going about this?
I have a blk00001-00253, and rev00001-rev00253 in my blocks directory. Can I remove those rev files perhaps?