Segregated Witness (SegWit) is well-along the way to being implemented and deployed as a soft-fork.
- SegWit eliminates most forms of transaction malleability.
- Discounts input scripts in comparison to other block content.
- Adds a new function/constraint to the Coinbase transaction by requiring it to contain the root of the SegWit data.
- Provide a capacity increase upon adoption.
- Makes future changes to Bitcoin Script easier.
- What other methods could achieve the above benefits?
- Why was Segregated Witness chosen instead?
- Is there an alternative that is less complex to introduce when regarding the complete picture, i.e. technical, economical, and social aspects?
Intent: The above is a criticism that is frequently stated in parts of the Bitcoin community, and I hope to provide an anchor for a visible collection of expertise on the matter.