My BCH wallet prefixes the addresses with a "bitcoincash:" string and the hash itself (without the prefix) is 42 chars. Let's say I need to send some BCH to an old address (34 chars, unprefixed), will this work? If not, what do I need to do to make it work?

  • 3
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it is not about Bitcoin, i.e. BTC. (See bitcoin.stackexchange.com/help/on-topic) - "The Bitcoin stack exchange ... is not about ... any cryptocurrency or technology that is not applicable to the Bitcoin network and users of the Bitcoin currency" I believe these rules were altered recently and made more restrictive. – RedGrittyBrick Jul 15 '19 at 13:24
  • In this case, I think the bitcoin-cash tag should be remove ASAP, as it is misleading as it is. – darksoulsong Jul 15 '19 at 16:13
  • @darksoulsong see bitcoin.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1017/… – chytrik Jul 15 '19 at 21:18


If your wallet does not support this, you can use https://cashaddr.bitcoincash.org to convert the old addresses to new addresses, and send to new addresses.

  • Thank you, but In my case, I can't convert the old address because I have no control over it. So, do I need to convert my address to an old one in order to transfer the funds? – darksoulsong Jul 15 '19 at 14:04
  • @darksoulsong You can take any Bitcoin Cash addres in old format, convert it, then the funds will go there safely. Both types of address are compatible with each other. – MCCCS Jul 15 '19 at 14:32
  • I see. But my case is the exact opposite, that is, my wallet is in the new format and I need to send funds to an address that is in the old format. In this case, I should convert my wallet address to the old format, am I right? Sorry for sounding repetitive, but I really need to be sure on this. – darksoulsong Jul 15 '19 at 16:12
  • 1
    The address format does not actually make any difference other than not being able to put a Bitcoin Cash new CashAddr into a Bitcoin Core textbox. Other than that, you can send/receive to/from both types of addresses. If some website/wallet doesn't accept your new address, then you can convert it to old address. Feel free to ask questions @darksoulsong . – MCCCS Jul 15 '19 at 16:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.