I am confused on why my bitcoin core wallet password would not work. I am 90% sure I tried the right password(s).
- wallet has many receiving addresses (10 000), I generated them with Linux from command line in 2017
- I encrypted the wallet (probably after generating the addresses).
- started receiving payments, made copies of wallet.dat after some of them, I see the different wallet.dat backups have same size (probably normal).
- now in 2019 I downloaded Bitcoin Core
0.18.0on Windows 10
- put my wallet.dat in the bitcoin data folder
- I can see the received coins
- wallet shows as encrypted in the lower right corner
- if I try to send and enter password, it says it is the wrong one
1) Can this be because my wallet.dat is since before I encrypted it ? If so, it would not show as encrypted when I start the program, right ?
2) Can errors like this happen because wallet is too large (
10 000 addresses, 5.7 MB) and maybe it got corrupted while generating that many addresses ?
3) Any known issues of incompatibility between wallets created on linux ubuntu vs windows, that can cause such problems ?
4) Can password stop working because the Bitcoin Core version changed ? I can see the wallet was first created in Oct 2017 so I used whatever Bitcoin Core version it was then.
// It is kind of hard to make experiments with different wallet configs because of the large address list, it takes forever to load the program/blockchain.