Why is the
bitcoin package currently not in Debian? And how to help get it back in there?
It'd make it a lot easier for more people to run a full node with this.
Bitcoin Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for Bitcoin crypto-currency enthusiasts. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
Why is there currently no bitcoin package in Debian?
Your link also says:
Problems while searching for a new upstream version high 2 security issues in sid high Depends on packages which need a new maintainer normal The package has not entered testing even though the delay is over normal Build log checks report 1 warning low Standards version of the package is outdated. wishlist
- Migration status for bitcoin (- to 0.18.1~dfsg-1): BLOCKED: Rejected/violates migration policy/introduces a regression
- Issues preventing migration:
- Updating bitcoin introduces new bugs: #939608
- Additional info:
- Piuparts tested OK - https://piuparts.debian.org/sid/source/b/bitcoin.html
- 241 days old (needed 5 days)
- Not considered
If you drill into the details you find security bugs such as CVE-2019-15947
In Bitcoin Core 0.18.0, bitcoin-qt stores wallet.dat data unencrypted in memory. Upon a crash, it may dump a core file. If a user were to mishandle a core file, an attacker can reconstruct the user's wallet.dat file, including their private keys, via a grep "6231 0500" command.
I guess time needs to be spent resolving all the issues identified with the package.